10 Tips for making sure your contractor measures up:
- Hire only Licensed Contractors.
- Check Contractor’s License at http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/LicenseLookup/
or call (804) 367-8511.
- Get three references, review past work.
- Get at least three bids.
- Get a written contract and don’t sign anything until you completely understand the terms.
- Pay 10% down, or $1,000.00 whichever is less.
- Don’t let payments get ahead of work. Keep records of payments.
- Don’t make a final payment until you’re satisfied with the job.
- Don’t pay cash.
- Keep a job file of all papers relating to your project.